mercoledì 17 giugno 2015

Beautiful Old Tuscan Doors and Windows

My love for old Tuscan doors and windows started from the very first weeks of my new life in Italy nearly 18 years ago. I was always looking for postcards with windows surrounded by geranium pots or old wooden doors of charming countryside houses to send back home to family and friends. 

For all my childhood I lived in a big city and everyday I longed for a place in the countryside where I could go to play and run in the fields. My grandfather had told me stories of his family’s large farm, but the arrival of communism after the Second World War brought to an end the concept of private property. Hundreds of hectares were confiscated and decades of hard work vanished like smoke in the air. 

Little did I know that my childhood dreams would come true in different country… 
Here I am now helping to care for a place rich in history and simple beauty like Il Poggio alleVille.  My “new” countryside…

Old stable door with bright geraniums and a small lemon tree 

It is the entire merit of Nicoletta Gabbrielli, who carefully photographed our agriturismo last summer, that I realized how many beautiful doors and windows there are here too.

One of the two entrance doors in Villa Montagna


The contrast between the lively geraniums and the old door is quite special


Entrance door of our small chapel from 1720


During the renovation works in the mid-1990s, my mother-in-law (a former biologist specialized in wood restoration) insisted that all old doors inside the houses must be kept in place, restored and admired for their sheer beauty.

Old Tuscan door inside one of the farmhouses

Restored stable doors are quite fascinating


Nicoletta took some wonderful shots of internal and external windows in the sun.

Warm Tuscan sun on old Tuscan windows


She also captured some hidden doors of former stables that somehow I always ignored. 
Her photos helped us rediscover our place under many aspects, and we are truly grateful.

One day, behind this door, there will be a small museum

Just imagine two grandparents having a chat on this bench...


And remember: When one door closes, another opens. :-)


Farmhouse La Colombaia - under the staircase the doors of an old barn

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento